Thursday 15 February 2018

Promotional Videos - analysis



I like the non diegetic sound throughout the video, this is because I find it intriguing and inspiring as well. I really like the long shot of the males standing in a line because then the screen turns black. This leaves a small enigma code... "What's happening now?". I like throughout the first 55 seconds the editor uses a technique called 'dip to black' as if it were a blink the video.
I think that the panning shot with the 'dip to black' of the males in the line standing next to each other is a good shot, and it also makes the 'dip to black' edit seem more like a blink. I also like how the image is blurred but you can still see what is going on and what is on their shirts (front and back).
What I want to take from this video to put into my own is the facts and figures they have about men. Another thing that I like from the video is that it is edited to the music, so every time there is a bigger beat the shot changes.
What I think could've been better in this video is that some parts of the video should've used a hand held camera. I feel like the audience would've felt more involved in the video as a hand held camera, would've made it more realistic. At the end of the video you see an establishing shot of the school, however what would've made this better is no overcast and to have a bright blue sky.
At minute 1.05 there is a shot of the sky with two birds, I don't quite understand how it fits in with the style video this is, however it could be a metaphor for something. E.g. Everyone is free and you don't have to be trapped like birds.




What I like about this video is the upbeat music at the start, it instantly makes me think that the target audience is quite young. So for the clothing, children sizes up to teenage sizes.
What I don't like about this video is that you can tell that they have only used the camera microphone. You can tell this by the slight echo and the emptiness of the room whilst their talking. I also think they should've rehearsed a script or had prompts to prevent the "hm" ing and "ar" ing. You can also tell that they both are not comfortable on camera at all, and some aspects not taking it too seriously. However, the video comes together really well with the constant music playing. Although they kind of tell you about sales and what is most popular, I think if they had some on-screen facts it could've made the video more factual.
Some of the footage used doesn't really lineup with the promotion they are trying to do. For example on the bike you can barely see that the jumper is their own brand 'enigma'. At first sight I just thought that the biker was wearing a plain black jumper. They do use a drone shot of two people. One person modelling and then the other taking the photo. I think that adding this to the video shows their hard work and dedication however it just doesn't seem to fit in with the video idea.



What I like about this video is that it starts with different bits of footage from different time-lapses around London.
The tilt of the tower bridge is a really clean tilt, what I mean by this is that the shot is not staggered. However, what could've made this shot better was having the tower bridge central in the shot. Although because it is a road it'll be a bit dangerous, and of course this raises health and safety concerns.
The transitions throughout the video are consistent and are not over used, all the shots are in focus and you don't see too much or too little of something. The editor has also put in names of specific landmarks throughout the video. This is good for people who want to know about London, however I feel like it could've been a bit more natural and real other then scripted so much.
What I don't like about the video is the non diegetic music which is over the video. This is because I started to get bored of the video as the song just drained it out of me. I also think that if this is a tourism video then maybe the cameramen could've made up a questionnaire and asked some people what they think of London. E.g. Whether they are a resident or a tourist. What is their favourite part about London and why etc...




The non diegetic music is very cultured and in tune with the culture of the country. Throughout the video you see a lot of the Indian culture such as; the Taj Mahal, the markets, camel riding, dancing and many more.
At minute 0.23 of the video, the sound turns from non diegetic to diegetic as you hear a can being opened but then you also see liquid flowing over a big ball, like a water feature.
The non diegetic music changes quite a bit throughout the video but it is not a clear transition from one bit of music to the next.
I really enjoy this video and the way it is edited to the music as it is filled with a lot of visuals, however some things happen so fast you don't have any time to process them.
What could've made this video a bit better is adding some facts and figures about India and maybe even some interviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment